When you move into an apartment you can expect to have to live with some limitations such as white walls and no painting allowed, no nail holes in the walls and after a while, it can seem overwhelmingly oppressive without some personalization for your home. However, with a bit of creative finagling, you can create apartment decor that fits your style perfectly.
1. Switch out their stock blinds for the window treatments that you prefer. For instance, add roll up bamboo blinds for a natural look. Fabric roman blinds in the hue of your choice bring a blast of color to the room. Store the stock blinds in a closet, and hang them up again when you move.
2. Using removable wall decals enables you to put art on the walls without damage. These come in a wide array of colors and patterns. Add scrolling Fleur-di-lis, splashy flowers, or a favorite quote to any room. This is a great solution to the “white walls” limitation in most apartment decorating plans.
3. Choose some art for your walls — the bigger, the better. Wall art can add some drama to your apartment decorating scheme. If your apartment complex has a rule against nail holes, hang your art with a removable adhesive which is easy to pull off later. That makes it a breeze to take it all down when you move without any damage to the walls.
4. Stuck with furniture you hate? No problem! All you have to do is find some great looking slipcovers. Many people hold off on investing in quality furniture until they buy a home, which is completely understandable. Even if you’re stuck with hand-me-downs or thrift store specials, you don’t have to suffer ugly upholstery. Slipcovers come in a wide array of colors and fabrics. Another benefit is that mismatched furniture can be easily matched with slipcovers.
5. Add your area rugs, even if they apartment is already carpeted. Using area rugs pulls a room together and changes the atmosphere in a room dramatically. There are rugs available for all tastes and at all price points. If your style tends toward traditional, look for oriental style rugs. Those with a modern or contemporary flair can seek out bold geometrics or abstract swirls of color.
Granted, apartment décor can be severely limited by rules and by expense but with a little imagination and some out of the box thinking; you can still have a great looking home. Think about the look you wish to achieve, research what other apartment dwellers have done, and ask yourself how the style you want to be implemented in your apartment. In the end, you will wind up with a space that is truly your own.